VANCOUVER SYMPHONY ORCHESTRA
The Vancouver Symphony Orchestra (VSO) is inviting applications for the appointment of Assistant
Conductor. We are pleased to be able to provide a major opportunity for a young Canadian conductor to
work on a daily basis with a leading professional symphony orchestra. The Vancouver Symphony
Orchestra consists of 67 full-time musicians and currently performs a 40-week season.
The Assistant Conductor will:
• work closely under the direction of the VSO's Music Director, Maestro Bramwell Tovey
• work with the VSO conducting staff including Conductor Laureate Kazuyoshi Akiyama and
Principal Pops Conductor Jeff Tyzik, as well as the artistic staff and musicians of the VSO
• have access to the many guest conductors and soloists who perform with the VSO throughout the
• be assigned to conduct specific rehearsals and concerts, and will cover other VSO rehearsals and
• have the opportunity to be involved in programme planning, artistic operations, education,
marketing and development activities
• be an ambassador of the VSO in the community
• All applicants for the position of Assistant Conductor with the Vancouver Symphony Orchestra
must be Canadian citizens or Landed Immigrants.
• The VSO Assistant Conductor will be expected to reside in Vancouver during the term of the
• Candidates should have an advanced musical degree or equivalent. An exceptional level of aural
skill expected .
• Excellent communication skills and the ability to speak about the music with audiences.
• Advanced knowledge of orchestral repertoire, with a working knowledge of Canadian and
international contemporary orchestral repertoire essential.
Applications should include:
• Letter of interest (maximum one page).
• Full curriculum vitae (maximum five pages) detailing educational background and professional
experience as an instrumentalist and conductor.
• DVD of applicant conducting, including rehearsal, if available. Include two contrasting video
clips, maximum 20 minutes in total.
• Repertoire list.
• Three letters of recommendation.
• Auditions will take place May 8 & 9, 2012, in Vancouver.
• Candidates selected as finalists will be given the repertoire list and final audition schedule.
• The audition will include a general musicianship exam; rehearsal on stage with the VSO, which
will include one 20th Century work, score will be presented on arrival.
Term of contract:
September 1, 2012 to August 31, 2014 (2-year term)
The search committee, chaired by VSO Music Director Bramwell Tovey, will receive all applications for
the position in confidence.
Applications Deadline: Friday, March 23, 2012 at 5:00 pm
We encourage you to submit your application by going to:
You can set up a free account and attach all of your materials, and send to: email@example.com
Alternatively, you may email your materials to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Place “Assistant Conductor” in the subject line.
Vancouver Symphony Orchestra
Assistant Conductor Search
500 – 833 Seymour Street
Vancouver, BC V6B 0G4