The Vancouver Symphony Orchestral Institute
To support efforts to contain COVID-19 and follow direction from our public health leaders, the 2020 Vancouver Symphony Orchestral Institute and UBC Chamber Orchestra Festival will not be taking place as planned. Due to the unprecedented nature of this pandemic, it is impossible at this point in time to predict whether air travel will be back to normal, and whether Canada’s borders will be reopened to visitors. We recognize the challenges created by the inability to plan ahead, and we keep the safety and health of our students, faculty, and staff above all else.
While it greatly saddens us not to welcome so many talented young musicians to Vancouver this summer during an unprecedented situation, we do hope that our alternative plans will help provide unique, exciting, and rich musical experiences to everyone who has applied to VSOI 2020.
Virtual VSOI Events Open to the Public
Introducing Virtual VSOI 2020
PHASE 1: Audition feedback and coaching (COMPLETE)
All applicants, including conductors, are invited to participate in a one-on-one virtual coaching with our faculty which will include review, discussion, and feedback about your audition video as well as an introductory lesson. Coachings will last approximately one hour. There is no additional fee to participate- your previously paid application fee will be put towards the cost of your coaching. We encourage all applicants to participate! In the coming days, we will contact applicants to schedule coachings. If you wish to opt out, please email email@example.com no later than April 10.
We are pleased to announce Phase 2 of the Virtual Vancouver Symphony Orchestral Institute 2020!
We hope you will join our exceptional faculty and VSO musicians this summer for an inspiring and educational program featuring:
- A series of masterclasses in which every student will be given an opportunity to perform.
- An exciting line-up of webinars on a variety of topics including daily practice, performance practice, career development, musician health and wellness, repertoire, and instrument-specific topics.
- A Q&A and chat session with VSO Music Director Otto Tausk
- A virtual learning session and masterclass with special guest artist James Ehnes
- An opportunity to participate in virtual chamber ensembles with other student musicians.
- An option for private lessons with faculty
- An invitation to participate in our VSOI Global Orchestra: a video compilation of short performances and greetings from current students and VSOI alumni around the world as well as our faculty
- Virtual VSO @ Home performances, Livestream Q&A with VSO musicians, access to the VSO Virtual Learning Hub, and other virtual VSO activities this summer.
The Virtual VSOI will take place July 2-16. Students can expect between 1 and 3 hours of programming on most days during the two-week timeframe. Schedules will take into account the time zones of where our students are located to encourage the participation of our international applicants.
Registration Deadline June 22
Applications are now closed.
Tuition: $400 CAD
|Premier Education Partner
||Community Engagement Partner
|With Generous Support From:
||In Partnership With:
|Youth Development and Engagement programs
such as the VSO Institute are made possible
by the generosity of the
WILLIAM AND IRENE MCEWEN FUND
|With support from the
PETER AND MARY BRUNOLD AWARD
FOR THE ADVANCEMENT OF
CLASSICAL MUSIC MAKING