Vancouver, BC – June 16, 2021
Vancouver Symphony And Vancouver Civic Theatres Welcome The First Audiences In Over A Year Back To The Orpheum In June
- Four performances on June 19 and 26 will welcome small, socially distanced audiences of 50 people into the Orpheum for the first time in over a year
- Audiences will watch live performances of concertos, chamber music and a special appearance by Canadian icon Steven Page
- The VSO is working closely with Vancouver Civic Theatres to deliver these first performances in a safe and controlled environment
- Front-line workers, media, special guests, and VSO subscribers and donors will be invited to the performances
- Members of the public are invited to enter a draw for a limited number of tickets to take part in these very special reopening performances
Vancouver, Canada (June 15, 2021) – After a year of innovation, digital recording and virtual performances, the Vancouver Symphony Orchestra (VSO) and Vancouver Civic Theatres (VCT) are thrilled to welcome back the first live audiences to the historic Orpheum Theatre in over a year for four performances on June 19 and 26.
Following the announcement of BC’s successful move to Phase 2 of the COVID-19 Reopening Plan, the VSO will perform four concerts for fifty person audiences, in compliance with provincial health orders. The audience will include front-line workers, members of the media, special guests, and lucky members of the public who can enter a draw to win seats at the performances.
“There has been so much sacrifice this year on so many fronts. We are grateful to everyone who is working to bring us all through this pandemic. The VSO lives to connect people through music. We are overjoyed that are we now taking the first steps towards normalcy.” says Angela Elster, President & CEO of the VSO.
Natalie Lue, Director of VCT says, “We have worked closely with the VSO throughout their season to keep the Orpheum active as a recording venue. Now, to begin welcoming our live audiences back is nothing short of a joyous occasion.”
The four concerts, taking place in the morning and afternoon of June 19 and 26, each feature a different program. Highlights include a performance by the iconic Canadian singer/songwriter Steven Page, a quartet for four violas including VSO’s new principal violist Hung-Wei Huang, and a concerto for seven wind instruments and string orchestra by Swiss composer Frank Martin.
Members of the public can enter to win tickets to the June 19 performances via an online entry form available at https://www.vancouversymphony.ca/june-19-public-draw.
The VSO and the VCT will follow all government guidelines and will ask audience members to maintain social distancing and wear a mask at all times when inside the theatre. There will be additional health and safety guidelines provided to guests before the concert.
Performance Details: Saturday June 19th at 10:10am & 2:40pm & Saturday June 26th at 10:10am & 2:40pm
Venue: Orpheum Theatre, 601 Smithe St. Vancouver
Performances will be recorded for distribution at a later date.
The VSO would like to thank its sponsors for their continued support through these times.