VSO Relaxed Performance
Relaxed Performances are aimed at increasing accessibility to symphonic music. This casual, one-hour, sensory-friendly performance welcomes children and families, all neurodivergent community members, and those who simply want a more relaxed performance experience. You may want to check out our Venue Guide and Performance Guide in advance of the performance for more information.
The performance will be a Dress Rehearsal. A Dress Rehearsal is a final run-through of the full concert before the evening’s performance. It is just like the concert, but no one has to dress up! Some dress rehearsals, like this one, are open to a smaller public audience. The smaller public audience gets a “sneak peek” of the concert. The orchestra will be performing for you, the audience, just like in any other concert, but they may need to pause to fix certain technical or musical aspects of the performance.
Join us for VSO’s Relaxed Performance!
Elements of a “Relaxed Performance”
- Movement and noise are welcome. Enjoy the concert as it fits your needs!
- There will be a more limited capacity than usual to allow for empty rows towards the back of the auditorium for those that would like to move around throughout the concert.
- House lights will be only slightly dimmed, allowing for comfort and a more informal environment.
- A separate relaxed space in the lobby is available if you need to step out of the concert hall.
- A limited number of ear plugs are available on-site and can be requested in the lobby. Please feel free to bring your own ear coverings or sensory devices.
Thursday, March 16, 2023
Doors open at 11am
Concert starts at 11:30am
Location: The Orpheum in downtown Vancouver. Please use the Smithe Street entrance of the building upon arrival.
Scheherazade is a symphonic composition by Nikolai Rimsky-Korsakov, and the music depicts drama and adventure! Based on One Thousand and One Nights (also known as The Arabian Nights), the tale follows Scheherazade, an intelligent young woman who uses storytelling to distract Shahryar, the angry sultan. Every night she stops her story at a suspenseful part, promising to continue for the sultan the next day.
Can you hear the music of the sea, the storm, the spinning of an incredible tale? The orchestration of this piece has been described as “dazzling and colourful”. It is sure to enchant audiences of all ages!
The concert is one (1) hour with no intermission.
There are several ways to register for the Relaxed Performance:
- Pay in full with a credit card. See above.
- To pay a deposit, or to pay via cheque or cash, fill the form below.
- Download the order form and mail your credit card or cheque payment.
Mailing address: Education, Vancouver Symphony Orchestra, 500-833 Seymour Street, Vancouver, BC V6B 0G4
Telephone reservations will not be accepted.